Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Those North Carolina Counties, how they did change!!

I moved to Tallahassee expecting to discover more about my Higdon-Butler roots. And I have, but along the way, I discovered more of my Lee ancestors than I dreamed possible. One of the best parts about moving to Tally was discovering an 8th cousin, Vicki. Why all of these in the same paragraph? Because the Lees, Higdons, Butlers, AND Parrotts, Underwoods, Moores ALL once hailed from eastern North Carolina. Bertie County and Craven County, that is. Oh, that was in 1740.


And then, by 1746, Johnston County was created. And Duplin County.
Bertie and Craven were reduced.
So, even though my relatives hadn't moved, it seemed as though they did.
And it makes finding the land data and records a little more complicated.



By 1760, Dobbs County had been created (that's why the Parrots were there when originally, there had been paperwork on them in Duplin or Craven County.  Oh, and let's not forget Cumberland County (because one of my Lee ancestors had a stagecoach line through Johnston to Cumberland.



I could go on and on, but let's suffice for now that it helps to look up the county lines of the state your relatives once lived. Because they might have not moved after all, just the lines were redrawn!

Link for these maps (both NC and SC):
http://www.carolana.com/NC

Later this week, I'll add maps of Decatur, Thomas and Grady Counties of southern Georgia. Many of the families from eastern North Carolina moved down this way. They called southern Georgia the "New Carolina Settlement." I'll also add the titles of some very helpful books I've discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment