Monday, May 28, 2012

A letter from 1898 written by my great great grandfather

Sometimes you just don't know what treasures you'll carry home with you.  When you go genea trekking, you begin to intuitively copy things just hoping something will make sense when you get home.

Last November my sister went with me to Cairo, Georgia on a genea trek. She's not so into genealogy, so this was a great concession on her part! [Thank you, Joanna!]  While I was there, I made copies of some pages in a book I found there, "A Book of Butlers: Jacob Butler (1812-1853)" by Mrs. Ermon (Marilee Gerrell) Butler.

Wow. Oh wow. I found some of my ancestors in there because she had included a related line.

A couple of weeks later, I saw my Aunt Marjorie. Years earlier she had gotten one of the books, and given a copy to her son (my cousin). I still need to go back and make some copies of more of the book (the author has given me permission as long as I give her credit).

Here's where it gets better. [I know, you must've been waiting.]

Last week, I skimmed through the pages I'd copied again. And there it was! A letter FROM my great great grandfather John ROBERT Butler to his brother "Hon. T (Thomas) J Butler" in New Orleans. Written Sep 15, 1898 from Whigham Ga. I don't know if it was transcribed. There's no notation regarding that. It was contributed to the author by Joe W Butler (must be Thomas' descendant). Thank you, Joe, for keeping care of the letter!



The paragraphs are written as though he is basically writing about himself and his family as a historian. Apparently he and his brother had talked about their family history and he had taken on the objective to record the history as best he knew it (the love of genealogy runs in my blood, see!).

Midway down the page, in the second paragraph, he begins talking about himself,

#1 John Robert Butler, the oldest son is still living and in his 74th year. He mentions your John died and left young families. "John was a DR and had a fine practice when he died."

I am amazed at the quality of the wording.

I am amazed that I looked through this book which I copied just some of the pages back in November. I wasn't able, at the time, to copy all the pages, but to think I managed to copy these pages! And that I waited until this month to read through again, and the light finally came on!

At the beginning when he says "Our grandfather Robert Butler was of Welch decent..." I wonder if that was his mother or father's side. I haven't found any Butlers being of Welsh descent, but maybe that is a hint?

Last, toward the end, he says, "After writing what I have I concluded that I did not say enough about our father but he gave me and the rest of you lots of trouble. He was one of the best hearted men I ever (k)new he had his failings like all the rest of us have although a slave owner he was always opposed to the institution."

What trouble? Aging? Was he ornery?!
Thirty years, after the Civil War, acknowledgement of his father having opposed the institution of slavery despite having been a slave owner. Makes one think.



No comments:

Post a Comment