Wednesday, May 23, 2012

All Roads Lead Back...

Here's what I have found amazing. Most of my lines, since they've been in America long enough, eventually lead back to the same place. What I have found MOST amazing is that nearly every one of my major branches (one of my grandparent's), whether Lee or Higdon or Newell or Morgan have intersected if not once or twice, three or more.

Here is one find, today!

It's the Christ Church, Middlesex County, Saluda, Virginia. Here is the link:
http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?MarkerID=27001&Print=1
or click here:
Christ Church, Middlesex Co., VA

I found this because I was looking up the Parrott line (my paternal grandmother Louise Higdon's grandmother was Sarah Parrott). Sarah's ancestor was Richard Parrott. He was born 1616 in England and died 1686 in Virginia. I found "The Parish Register of Christ Church, Middlesex Co., VA 1653-1812" here:

http://archive.org/stream/parishregisterof00chri/parishregisterof00chri_djvu.txt

and thought I'd scan it a bit. All of a sudden I'm seeing other names in there that look mighty familiar, Cock, Smith, Jones, Walker. Those are all names in my maternal grandmother Agnes Morgan's line. Both my grandmothers were interested in genealogy, noting where we come from. Agnes' mother told her grandson (my mom's cousin Albert) that he was the 13th cousin of the then King (George) of England. His teacher scolded him. Actually, it was likely true.

Here I find that both my grandmother's lines go back to the same church in the same time period. They weren't kin, but it was a kinship. Their ancestors worshipped together.

And I've found that my paternal grandfather's line intersected with my maternal grandmother's line. Agnes Morgan's line: the Bollings, Drury and Robert, hand land next to Hugh Lee, my paternal grandfather Paul Lee's direct line back.  

And my paternal grandfather's Paul Lee's line goes back to Quimby and Osgood, the same area where my maternal grandfather Arthur Newell's people lived in Massachusetts. Arthur's grandmother Mary Frances Grow's family was deeply rooted in early Massachusetts, too, in the same areas. Her ancestors, the Whipples were in the same area as Paul's mother's line. So both my grandfathers' mothers lines led back to the same place at the same time.

For now, here is a photo of Christ Church of Middlesex (Saluda) Virginia.
It's located east of Richmond, VA on the Chesapeake Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment