Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sometimes OsGOOD and sometimes OsBAD.

In 1983, I was living in Abilene, Texas. I was stationed at Dyess AFB. My cousin Gail was married and living in Dallas. I visited with her a couple of times, and during one visit, she and her husband asked if I'd like to adopt their cat Osgood. Gabe had named Osgood, "sometimes I's good and sometimes I's bad." Osgood was one of my favorite cats. He was beautiful. A beautiful sweet natured tabby with emerald green eyes. I'll have to look for a photo to post of him!

In just the last year, I've discovered that Osgood is a name in my family tree. My great grandmother Mary Troublefield married Walter Lee. The name Troublefield was 'originally' Turbeville. That's another story for another time. Mary's ancestor Sampson Turbeville married Tempie Quimby. [His brother Joseph married Tempie's sister Sarah.]

Tempie Quimby's line [Jonas, Eleazar, Eleazar, John, Robert b 1625]
Tempie's 'great grandfather' 3x Robert Quimby b 1625, married Elizabeth Osgood.

Elizabeth Osgood's parents were William Osgood and Elizabeth Clere. William was b 1609, Herrell, Hants, England. He was one of the first settlers in Salisbury, Essex, Massachusetts. William and his wife were summoned as witnesses to the Salem Witchcraft Trials. William's cousin was John Osgood (b 1632, son of John b 1595, son of Christopher Osgood). Cousin John had married Mary Clements. Mary [Clements] Osgood was accused of witchcraft, but later acquitted. Maybe William Osgood was a good witness?

Elizabeth Osgood Quimby was wounded, but survived the 7 July 1677 Amesbury massacre led by the Indian Symon/Simon. Unfortunately, Elizabeth's husband Robert died from injuries sustained that day.

Here are some links to more Osgood information:
http://www.osgoodancestry.org/emigrants.html
http://www.osgood.org/Osgood/submissions.htm#John%20Adams%20&%20the%20American%20Revolution.%20by%20Catherine%20Drinker%20Bowen%20from

Other sources include:
The New England Historical and Genealogical Register by NEHGS, specifically Vol xiii, pp 200-2, 1866.
http://www.owingsstone.com/getperson.php?personID=I5267&tree=owingsstone

4 comments:

  1. A cousin provided these corrections (thanks!):

    It was Mary Osgood born July 5, 1665 who married John Marston. She was the daughter of Christopher Osgood born 1643 and Hannah Belknap.

    Our line is descends through Christopher Osgood born 1543, Christopher Osgood born 1569, William Osgood born 1609.

    William's brother Christopher's son, Christopher (William's nephew) had Mary, who was the "witch". However, William Osgood and his wife Elizabeth Clere did provide witness in the trial for their great-niece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, this is so neat... William and Elizabeth Osgood were my 10th great-grandparents. I am of the line of their daughter Mary and Thomas Currier.. Does anyone have more info on both the Osgood past William and the Clere past Elizabeth that they would be willing to share?

      Delete
    2. William and Elizabeth Osgood are also my 10th great grandparents through their daughter Joanna Elizabeth Quinby.

      Sharon

      Delete
  2. Hi, this is so neat... William and Elizabeth Osgood were my 10th great-grandparents. I am of the line of their daughter Mary and Thomas Currier.. Does anyone have more info on both the Osgood past William and the Clere past Elizabeth that they would be willing to share?

    Cheers,
    Normand Gaudet
    A Canadian Cousin

    ReplyDelete